1.31.2008

A Cry For Help





I confiscated this from E today during literacy. He misses a lot of school and today was his first day back in a while. He hates everything, but he's always hungry. He's always violent, says things a 11-year old shouldn't even know about, and generally smells really bad. This child needs a lot of help. He's reading on a 2nd grade level in 5th grade, and already hates the world. In the 2 months he's been in my class he's already been picked up by the police and brought to the precinct twice. I am really worried that if he doesn't get some serious help soon he'll never get better. His IEP was rewritten a few weeks ago. I suggested a more restrictive environment, more counseling (including individual and off-site) and a placement with more resources for an emotionally disturbed child, but it was denied. They say that the BD program I run is sufficient and the half hour group counseling session he refuses to attend weekly with all the same kids who tease him all week should help.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am in college becoming a teacher. I read this and my heart goes out for you! I can't imagine that stuff.

I wouldn't know what to do other than trying positive reinforcement. Find something this kid likes... and bribe him with it. If he comes to class he gets something.. if he sits there and listens for 10 minutes he gets something... on and on. Slowly lesson your physical reinforcements and only use verbal. Classroom management is your only hope. Maybe start a treasure chest with tickets just for him. Try to give him motivation to come to school!

I am not in the situation.. but I just took my behavioral management class... make a contingency contract and lots of positive reinforcers and something might happen! I wish you the best of luck!

3/26/2008 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can tell Linda is a student - her suggestions are cute.

7/08/2008 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.liquidwafflegirl.com